Monday, January 16, 2012

Dog Days

Finally! Sleep seems to be coming easier to my little beauties. Snuggled up and tucked in with their Daddy Dolls and only a little bit past their bedtime. Yay Me!! It's been nice to have this long weekend to help get them back on track. I know they'll be some rough nights somewhere down the road again, but for now, all is quiet on the western front.

My focus has been all on them, and I'm afraid I've neglected one other family member because of it. Sadie Squishy-sharkbait-oh-ha-ha Stinkbutt G. Yes, we got her as a puppy when Finding Nemo was really popular. And the stinkbutt? Well, you probably don't really wanna know...

Sadie has been the best dog ever, and she goes with the flow pretty well, but she gets anxious. As soon as Justincredible started pulling out his bags, she was never more than 2 feet from him. They have a morning routine. J gets up, gets ready, then goes downstairs and lets her out. When he comes up to say goodbye, she's right there with him, running around like crazy (making her tags jingle, which makes me crazy at 5 am) and they both go back downstairs, she gets her morning treat and then bounds back upstairs to steal his still warm side of the bed. Since J's departure, that has obviously not been the case. The first few nights, she waited up for him. Wouldn't come upstairs when I went to bed, but would stay down in the living room. Just waiting for Dad.  Now that she's realized he isn't coming back for a bit, she's gone into "protect mode." Her bark is big, and I'm sure if there was something to bark at, it would scare them too. However, her random outbursts of barking do nothing but scare the heck out of me about 4 times randomly a day....and almost always when I'm in the shower. I'm thankful though for that big bark, never know when it might come in handy.  She's also become a roamer. When J is home, she's dead to the world on her bed, but as soon as he leaves, she steps up. I heard Lil M's door creak open the other night. A telltale sign that she's coming to sneak in bed with me. So I wait, and wait, and she never comes. I get up to peek and find Sadie coming out of her room and going into the next one. Just checking on her babies.

I had never really thought about how J leaving would affect Sadie Bear (her other, less fun nickname), but it has. I know she misses him by all the extra hugs and snuggles she seeks from me whenever I'm near the ground. I was practically tackled today. And I kid you not, she will give you actual hugs. She's amazing. Truly the best dog we could have ever asked for. So after lots of extra snuggles and playtime today, I'm vowing to be a better mommy dog too. From now on, when we get our nightly kisses from Daddy, she'll get her treat that she used to get in the morning. She's in on the countdown too.

Oh, and an update: I fixed the backdoor! Who knew just wiggling around a screwdriver in there could fix it?! I Got This! ; )

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet puppy. They really are part of the family, aren't they? Pendleton is the same way- extra protective, extra snuggly when I'm playing on the floor with E, and extra clingy. They realize something is amiss but they are always there to take care of us. What a great reminder to me of how I need to make sure I'm being Pendleton's mommy too. Thanks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I am pretty sure Sadie is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. I had to read this post to the hubby as well. I would feel safe with her. So, I might need to borrow her for A's deployment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a good mommy to remember Sadie! Nothing's better than a great dog, I'm sure she'll keep down the fort while Dad's away!

    ReplyDelete