Marine Helicopter Crashes in Afghanistan Killing Six
My heart broke when I read this headline last night. It hurts for the families of these marines that won't be coming home to them in the way that plays out in daydreams everyday.
But, last night was a different hurt for me. It added in a little bit of panic and worry. Irrational panic, I know J wasn't on that helo. But that doesn't stop all the worrisome "what-ifs" from entering my thoughts. Add to the fact that I hadn't heard a peep from him only elevated my want/need to talk to him. To be assured of his safety. When things like this happen, communication shuts down. Families need to be notified, and no one wants that info reaching other people before it reaches families of those involved. I know (in my common sense side of my brain) that's why I didn't hear from him. He does have a job to do over there, not just sit and Skype with me, but it was still unnerving.
We've all read these reports before, but this is the first time something big has happened while my love is over there. This is real. He's pretty much on the exact opposite side of the world from us, something that Skype and FaceTime and all this technology makes me forget. It's still a war zone. No matter how safe and secure his FOB (forward operating base) is, it's still in another country, in a war zone! Scary.
Eventually, I did end up hearing from Justincredible. He's (of course) just fine. I knew it all along, but what a relief to hear his voice. The internet is still down and we're not sure when it'll be back up and running, but I am hoping for a "Happy Birthday" phone call today from my love.
If you will, take minute and say a quick prayer for all our servicemen and women. It'd mean a lot to me. Please and Thank you.
My heart went out to you and your family when I heard about the copter crash. I am glad Justin is safe. Our prayers are with him for sure. You have a good blog going here. Keep up the good work.. who knows, maybe someday a book? Reminds me of the movie 'Julie and Julia'.
ReplyDeleteHappy belated birthday.
Greg