Monday, January 30, 2012

Marking Time

Time is a hard thing for kids to understand. Having Justincredible try to explain to Miss M that he'd be gone for several months was tough. I don't think she really understood.  Lil M has absolutely no idea what we're talking about and will argue over the computer with J because we're saying "Goodnight, Daddy" and all she sees is sunlight streaming through the windows.  I still have a hard time grasping that fact!

I don't want to think about hours though....that will seem like an eternity before he comes home. So, we've come up with and borrowed a few ideas from friends to "Mark Time" and countdown the days until J comes home.


The first thing Justincredible did was to make a jar of kisses. Kisses from Daddy, one for each of us for every day that he's away. One gigantic jar and $50 worth of Hersey's Kisses later and here we are... hopefully not cavity infested when he comes home. 

I can already see a dent in it and that makes me incredibly happy! We're making our way through it. One day at a time. Good or bad, we get our kisses. The girls never forget about them.


We also count down the weeks by having Ice Cream Sundae Sundays! It's a great way to end the weekend and start another week on a good note. We've had 3 so far and it's catching on with the girls. They know that another week is done and we're closer to having our last planned Sundae Sunday with Daddy. Plus, it's really cute to hear Lil M say "Ice Cream Sundae Sunday."

This last Sunday we had was the first for my friend and her kiddos. So we turned it into a fun evening with dinner, dessert (it doesn't ALWAYS have to be a sundae, right?!?), and being crafty! We crafted one more countdown... yea you're right, three is probably enough... Anyway, we made a paper chain. Yup, old school. Glue and paper strips.  I think it turned out AWESOME!
We used themed paper for each month, and added special paper for birthday weeks, so it's customized to our individual families.  I think this is the countdown I'm most excited for. It's something that the M&M's can visibly look at to help them understand. Miss M is super excited and can't wait to start ripping off those chains.

We still have a lot of Sundays headed our way, so if we do anymore craft projects I'll be sure to post 'em. It's so nice to be able to get together on the weekends, let the kids play, and just have some adult conversation! That's what I look forward to most for our future Sundae Sundays... Good friends, good conversation, and ice cream...what more could we need??

2 comments: