Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sneaky, Sneaky...

I was going to write this last night, but I finally got an invite to join Pinterest and it was all downhill from there....

I've been slacking a little on my posts. Nothing too exciting going on around here though, just the normal, everyday things.

Except, I've been a maniac in the kitchen lately. Saturday, while I was waiting for the furniture store to deliver Miss M's new bed (really, 2-6 means you should be here between 2-6, not 8. Grrrr) I juiced a whole bag of farmers market oranges for fresh OJ, made homemade lemonade (DELICIOUS btw), baked up some healthy cocoa dusted almonds, and got started on extras for my sneaky chef cooking. It was an insane amount of work for one day, but I felt pretty accomplished!

What's this sneaky stuff, you ask?  It is probably the best cookbook I have stumbled upon for cooking for kids. "The Sneaky Chef" by Missy Chase Lapine is all about adding healthy foods into food your kids already like. Boxed Mac and Cheese? Just add in a bit of the Orange Puree (sweet potato and carrots)....they can't even taste it! It gives them an extra dose of vegetables and fruits to help up their daily intake. I KNOW my family isn't getting the recommended daily servings of fruits and veggies, but hopefully we'll be getting closer now!

I have the breakfast "cookies" baking as we speak, I'll let you know how they turn out. We've also tried the Breakfast "Ice Cream"- You say ice cream for breakfast and you're definitely getting the day off to a great start! It's yogurt, fresh fruit, honey, and avocado. I got empty bowls and 4 enthusiastic thumbs-up for this one! I really feel like now I can still feed them what they love and know that I've made it just a bit healthier by adding a few extra things that they normally wouldn't eat.

I had also purchased another kid-friendly cookbook called "No Whine With Dinner" and I'm holding out hope for it. The first two recipes I tried were disasters. All the girls did was whine that they didn't like it and... I kinda agreed with them. I swear, one smelled like vomit. There's no way I could eat it, let alone ask them to! We've picked out a few more recipes to try, but it might be one that just doesn't work for our family.

If you're interested in learning more about the Sneaky Chef, check out her website here. She has a few other cookbooks out, I just might have to check out "How to Cheat on Your Man (In The Kitchen)" to get  Justincredible on our new health plan too.

We're on a health(ier) eating plan, but that doesn't mean we don't get treats every now and then. There are some days when I just want potato chips! I have been doing really well with not drinking pop though.  Yay me!
Photo from www.thesneakychef.com

No comments:

Post a Comment