Friday, February 24, 2012

My How You've Grown

My oldest baby, Miss M, had her birthday this week. How time flies. I know I should be happy that she's turning into a well-rounded little person (and that I should be looking forward to all these new adventures of raising a little girl), but sometimes I miss my little baby. I miss the chest-to-chest snuggles, tiny smiles, squeals of baby laughter, baby giggles. I miss it all. I think it's because I know that those days are behind us. My babies are growing up. We tell them that when they get hiccups, that means they're growing. When they come running up to me now to tell me they have the hiccups... I joke that they better stop 'em! I want them to stay little and young and innocent for as long as possible.

I've been uploading some of our old photos onto our new computer the past few weeks. So, I thought I'd share some of my favorites of Miss M through the years. She had the rolliest (is that even a word?) arms you could ever imagine. She was the lightest, chunky looking baby around though.

Our teeny, 5 lbs., 8 oz "Monkey"
We did not find out what we were having when it was time for the ultrasound. J and I both felt that it was truly the last surprise where you would actually be surprised. Wanna know what your presents are under the tree?? You can snoop. Kinda hard to find out about your baby unless you have X-ray vision though. Anyway, the big day arrived (3 days late...but hey babies come when they're ready) and we had a darling little girl. J called to announce the news to his parents, and (you already know he has a way with words) when his mother asked what it was, he said "a monkey." This went on for a few minutes until the nurse got mad at him and told him to knock it off. I don't quite remember this, I was in heaven- I was finally allowed to drink some orange juice and it was the best OJ EVER.
These are the snuggles I miss!
"That's how I roll...and roll...and roll."
Showing off those bright baby blues!












I can't say it enough- how much I love this little lady. She brightens my world. She's growing up, but she still is and always will be my baby. She reminds me it's ok to be silly, get wild, and that there's beauty in things we grown-ups forget about as we get older. A dandelion is still a pretty flower to her. I want to keep it that way. 
Happy Birthday Miss M! I love you more than all the candy in Willy's chocolate factory. XOXO


On a more somber note, I'd like to take a minute to remember Maj. Thomas Budrejko, Capt. Michael Quin, Capt. Benjamin Cerniglia, Sgt. Justin Everett, LCpl. Corey Little, and LCpl. Nickoulas Elliot who were stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA and Capt. Nathan Anderson stationed and MCAS Yuma, AZ. These Marines gave there all during a training exercise in Yuma. They were scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan in just  a few weeks. My heart is breaking again. This time though, it feels different. It hurts more. I think it really is the the shock of it being so completely unexpected. They were home, safe in the US. "It's just a training" we always say. We're used to our Marines being away for training, it's practically an everyday occurrence. For some reason I feel that I would be more "prepared" (if one can really prepare themselves for something like this...which I know, you really can't) for the possibility of something happening in a war zone. It's just so much more jolting when it happens at home. Not to mention that we had Marines from J's unit in the area. It definitely added to my unease. 


God Bless these Marines. I pray their families find comfort and peace in these coming days. I am so very, very sorry for your loss.

2 comments:

  1. What a trip those pictures are. You truly have an amazingly beautiful little girl. I love that you and J waited to know the sex of your first born. I am not sure I could do that. She really is growing fast in the year or so I have known her. So is transforming from a little cutie to a gorgeous little girl.

    Happy Birthday Miss M!

    ReplyDelete